Sunday, October 16, 2011

False Start

You know that feeling when you take on a project or an assignment head on, and your making great progress, and feeling good about everything, only to eventually find out that you made one small mistaken that requires you to trash everything and start over? Yea, not a good feeling.

Well, I've been feeling a lot like that this past week, about my entire experience in Korea. You see, I was fired from my teaching job on Teusday.

It came as a big surprise, and felt like a punch in the gut, and I imagine the thing most of you want to know is why. Unfortunately I can't really tell you that. They couldn't give me a particularly clear or concrete reason, and I don't think they really had one except for the fact that my supervisor didn't like me. But, that's how it goes I suppose.

Now, the situation isn't as bad as it sounds. I got fired Tuesday night, had an interview Wednesday morning, was offered the position Wednesday night, and signed a new contract Thursday morning. It seems that I'm extremely employable in this city. So I still have a job. And the truth is, while I loved teaching, I had an ever lengthening list of grievances with the company I worked for. So maybe they didn't like me, but the feeling was totally mutual. I'm excited to be going to a potentially better situation.

But everything isn't exactly perfect either. So, my last day with my current company is October 21. I have to be out of my apartment by noon on the 22nd. My first day with the new company is...December 1st. And I get to move in to my new apartment on November 30. So, yea, that's potentially problematic. Luckily, I have a plan. There are a few people I know who I can crash with and store belongings with, and I'll probably divide up both my things and time between them so that I'm not too much of a burden on any one friend. Additionally, I'm trying to take a trip to India for a good chunk of that time. There's a place in India I can go and receive lodgings and food at virtually no cost. It's an Ashram that I have connections too, so I'll be meditating a lot. I'm fine with that.

But....that feeling of the false start. It's kind of a depressing thought to think that not only am I not two months into this year, but that it hasn't even started yet, and won't for another month and a half. And I've got to pack up all my things, and move again, which I hate doing. And it's going to be a month and a half of not really having a home, which is an awkward and uncomfortable feeling. And I'm going to have to stretch one paycheck for two months. *sigh*...

So, that's the latest in this adventure. The adventure remains adventurous, and I continue to impress myself with what I'm capable of accomplishing. But that doesn't mean I'm always happy about having to accomplish those things.

Um, so, with a few exceptions I've been pretty good about posting to the blog pretty regularly. With the insanity that will be the next 6 weeks of homeless unpaid vacation, I'm not making any promises for a while. I'll try to let you guys know what's going on at some point, but it's entirely possible that you might not here from me again until December. I love you all. Thank you for all of the support you have given me, and the interest you have shown in what I'm doing.

-Mongoose


1 comment:

  1. Much love Mongoose!! Try to use this event as an opportunity to evolve. A time to see the world in a way you have never been granted such a unique perspective. WE all know you have intelligence, now you get to learn smarts. Just make sure you take care of you!! Those that love you are a phone call away. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete